What is Placenta Benefits (PBi)?
Placenta Benefits (PBi) was founded in 2006 by Jodi Selander in Las Vegas, NV. The purpose of the organization is to educate women and professional communities about the benefits of placentophagy (placenta ingestion) for postpartum recovery. The vast majority of mothers will experience some sort of postnatal mood disorder, with some estimates as high as 80%. When a mother suffers, it affects the entire family. PBi believes that placentophagy can help these mothers have a better postpartum recovery, and possibly avoid the baby blues.
PBi’s headquarters is located in Las Vegas, NV and has members around the world, including the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia and South Korea. PBi’s educational outreach extends from its members, website, advertising, research and published articles. Its goal is to provide current information, resources, education, and to advocate for further research and legislation to support placentophagy and parents’ rights of control over their baby’s placenta.
Placenta Benefits.info (PBi) will make the use of placenta for postpartum recovery a natural part of the birthing process. We will provide professional quality placenta encapsulation services, adhere to the highest safety standards, and through community outreach and education help every birthing woman have the best mothering experience possible.
Meet the volunteers who are working hard every day to make our mission a reality!>
What does PBi do?
Our dedicated team of volunteer staff, mentors and members work to provide education and services to women around the world through various avenues, including:
- The PBi website: Our website receives more than 500,000 hits every month from women seeking information about placenta encapsulation, the research behind placentophagy, and the benefits of placenta capsules for their postpartum recovery.
- Placenta Provider Directory: Our online directory of trained and certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialists is the most popular resource on our site. Women looking for quality, professional services can find someone they trust to prepare their baby’s placenta.
- Our team of volunteers: PBi is run completely by volunteers who help students with the training course, answer questions from mothers looking for resources, respond to countless emails, and give up time with their families to help out because they believe in PBi’s mission.
- Placenta Training Course: PBi knows that there is much more to placenta encapsulation than just the process. Educating professionals about placenta’s use for postpartum, placentophagy research, and the contraindications so they in turn can educate women in their communities is a main goal. PBi is dedicated to keeping women and providers safe by teaching those providers how to properly handle and store placentas, prepare placenta for consumption, and disinfect the work space.
- Placentophagy research: Jodi Selander, founder of PBi, is involved with ongoing and current research at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Through this research, we hope to learn more about the benefits of placentophagy for postpartum recovery and the mechanisms by how it works.
- PBi newsletter: Our newsletter gives up-to-date information on placenta research, events, classes, conferences, and Specialists coming to your area. Also includes informational articles on parenting, fun recipes and special discounts for The Shop @ PBi.
- The Shop @ PBi: Our online store carries natural herbal products to aid in postpartum recovery and keep kids happy and healthy. We also offer placenta encapsulation supplies for mothers and providers, making it as easy as possible for women to make use of the placenta..
- The Placenta Blog: The very latest on placenta research, news, and postpartum health.
- Social media: We stay connected to mothers through ourFacebook page andTwitter updates.
- Media interviews: Through national PR and advertising campaigns, we seek to promote placenta encapsulation among mainstream media and raise public awareness of the benefits of placenta.
- Acitivism: Our Specialists and mentors work with hospitals to create policies in which administrators feel comfortable releasing placentas to parents after the birth. Placentas are often viewed by hospitals as medical waste and a biohazard. PBi believes that the placenta is a part of the baby and should go home with the parents when they leave the hospital, and will advocate on the parents’ behalf to make this happen.